Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Pie Day!

I missed out on all the fun my Utah family was having on Pie Day...

...but we were able to enjoy our own little festivities!

We celebrated Pie Day with some friends, Matt and Leanne Hicks and their daughter Clara. Many of you aren't aware of the new eating restrictions (no gluten, no dairy, very little processed food, and no meat) at our house (this in hopes that Michael's heartburn will go away, which it has decreased significantly so far), but it's made things quite interesting since I seem to be trying new recipes all the time (some of them good and some...definitely not). Both pie recipes I made were new to me. I made the gluten-free crusts from a mix and used a vegan buttery spread in lieu of butter. The berry pie was a simple recipe from my mother. It turned out pretty well. The vegetable pot pie was a success! Michael and I both liked it so I think it will be added to my little list of do-over recipes. Leanne made an apple pie and her crust was delicious! She also brought gluten/dairy-free Oatmeal Cinnamon Bread which was a HUGE hit! Jack probably ate half the loaf :) We had a really fun time playing "Ticket to Ride" after dinner. It was a great way to celebrate one of my favorite holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment