Daisy Jane is here! Here's the story: We scheduled with the hospital for me to be induced on June 3rd at 7:30am. We had been cleaning and moving and selling/getting rid of all our stuff the entire week/weekend previous. We officially moved to Prescott on Monday the 31st (me being 38 1/2 weeks pregnant). All of our belongings now fit into a bedroom (quite comfortably) in my father-in-law's house. After relaxing somewhat on Tuesday, we headed back up to Flagstaff on Wednesday (stopping on the way in Cottonwood to see Grandma Hummel and Grandpa Green). That evening we spent some time with friends. While chatting with the girls I started having good tight contractions pretty regularly. I didn't think too much of it because of my irritable uterus. I had Braxton-Hicks contractions for about half of this pregnancy, so I had determined to wait to declare labor until I was in some pain or my water broke. That night we stayed at the Radisson Hotel a stone's throw from where we had just moved from. Side note: I am now absolutely certain that I hate SleepNumber beds. They are so uncomfortable! I probably slept for about an hour total that night (between 5am and 6am). I had contractions all through the night. I timed them between 3:45am and 4:45am finding them to be between 4 and 7 minutes apart the whole time. I was pretty sure that I was in labor, but still tried to ignore it knowing that at least Michael was getting some coveted sleep.
After dropping Jack off at his best friend's home, we headed to the hospital arriving a little late for our 7:30 time-slot. The check-in questions took a few minutes and then we were taken to our room and I changed into my lovely hospital gown. My doctor checked me and gave me a dose of prostaglandin gel. My cervix was dilated to 4 cm and 80% effaced. Ten minutes after the prostaglandin gel dose I began to feel pain with each contraction. An hour later, we started walking around the hospital. About 15 minutes into the walking phase I was ready to get my epidural, but Michael pushed me to keep walking. We knew the epidural might slow down labor so we wanted to postpone it for a while. I was supposed to walk for an hour and then they would check my progress, but I called it quits 10 minutes short of that.
When my nurse came to start my I.V. she commented on my huge, excellent veins...she then proceeded to miss my vein (ouch!) with the needle. :) She got a different nurse to start my I.V. who got it right, but it was a little messy. My anesthesiologist came and (BLESS HIM!) the epidural was wonderful! Tingly...not what I expected. I promptly started falling asleep. Michael decided to go get some lunch, since we hadn't eaten yet. The nurse and doctor woke me up at 12:15 to check my progress. I was dilated to a 9 and fully effaced. The doc broke my water (which never seems to break on its own) and told me he would go get into his scrubs and in 5 minutes I would be pushing.
I called Michael to see what was taking him so long and to hurry him back for the birth. While I had been napping, Michael had gone to our friends and picked up Jack to take him to lunch. They all went to IHOP and ordered their meals. Mind you, Michael was starving so as the food approached I imagine his mouth was watering in great anticipation. As the server set the food down in front of him, his phone rang. I said, "You've got five minutes to get here...we're having a baby!" Ditching his delicious-smelling Rootie Tootie Fresh 'n' Fruity pancakes, he sped back to the hospital. Back at the hospital, the doctor came into my room and said, "Well, we've given him 15 minutes. Let's prep everything for you to push." I called Michael again to find him cruising the parking garage finding it absolutely full. He finally ended up parking by the emergency room entrance and hurrying to my room. Within 2 minutes of his arrival we had a baby.
Dad and Daisy shortly after birth.
Such a difference from my experience delivering Jack! With him, I pushed in sheer agony and pain for an hour and a half. With Daisy, I only had to push through one contraction. She was just so anxious to come! She let out some sweet little screams and we thrilled at our newest little addition to our family. She weighed in at 8 lbs. 9 oz. and measured 20 in. long. Her head was big, but not as big as Jack's huge noggin. I was thoroughly amazed at how much she reminded me of Jack though. They sure do look like siblings!
Jack kissing Daisy.
Shortly after giving birth, I ate a turkey sandwich. This is important to note because, for those of you who remember my fainting episode after giving birth to Jack, my body was exhausted and needed some nourishment. I was not about to make the same mistake and faint again. We made all the phone calls and sent text messages out to announce Daisy's arrival and then I took a much-needed nap.
Daisy and me ready to leave the hospital.
After wonderful visitors and 30 hours in the hospital, we headed home to Prescott.
She didn't really like the car seat.
Jack, Daisy, and me.
Best friends.
We've been loving and enjoying Daisy for 10 days now as I finish up this blog entry. She's a sweetheart and we just simply love her.
She is adorable, but I wouldn't expect anything less.
ReplyDeleteCongrats again! Daisey is precious! She and Jossy are 2 years and 1 day apart. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad Michael was able to make it to the birth! And I'm happy to hear you enjoyed an epidural this time. :)